dinsdag 7 september 2010

Vegetarian




As most of you know I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years now.  I turned vegetarian at the age of 16.  Then, being the pre vege burger age, I started eating meat again when I went to college simply because the student resto did not offer a vegetarian option on its menu.

I stopped eating meat again when I was 26 years old.  One New Years Eve my now ex-husband lay in a bed in a not so sober state, crying his eyes out because he had eaten a sweet little deer.  So that was it for me and I have never looked back since.

Today I would like to share a letter sent to Dr. Kirschner.  Enjoy!

Dr Kirschner,

I can't believe I'm writing you this letter. I have been reading your posts on facebook for over a year now and most of the time I have to admit I just got annoyed! You do not give up, geesh! I even thought about deleting you (lol) because I was getting so sick of hearing it. 
So, I finally decided to watch a couple of your videos and caved in and bought that book "Eating Animals" that you said was so good. I don't know why but I guess I was just trying to find a way to justify what I was doing so I wouldn't feel guilty anymore because I do love animals. When you said that thing about if you love animals that you wouldn't eat them, that was like someone hitting me over the head and I said to myself what I am doing? I think he may be right because it really doesn't make sense! 
So, I read the book. It made me feel disgusting, ashamed, foolish, and SO IGNORANT because I can't believe that I believed the things I believed and didn't even realize the truth. Now it seems so obvious. I wanted you to know that in a million years I would never say I'm not going to eat meat especially chicken. I have to thank you though because the reason I wanted to write to you is because I haven't had any chicken or anything for three weeks. I could be wrong but I don't see how I can ever eat any meat ever again not after what I know now. Also you have that button that says if you knew what I know you would be vegan too and I think I know some of what you know and I agree. Keep doing what you're doing even if people get mad at you and call you names because the truth is that they're probably like me and just don't want to face the fact that what they're doing is really wrong and they're being selfish like I was. 
So thanks for turning my world upside down (lol) and giving me total peace in my life, a healthier life, and one that doesn't involve having to do anything that hurts those poor animals. I am on your side now with the animals. Now I actually share your posts with my friends and no surprise they get mad at me and say I'm crazy but I know they might come around eventually just like I did so I won't give up.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten