dinsdag 8 maart 2011

Spring


I am so happy spring is just around the corner.  I wake up pretty early most days by the lovely sound of birds in the tree near my window.  I feel blessed that I am alive and in good health.

On the subject of Health, I'd like to share a post with you from Becky Robbins.

Whenever I’m forced to fill out those long health status forms, I feel so grateful that I’ve learned what I know about being vital and healthy when I can check the ‘No’ on all those scary maladies. And while I visit my family history, I think about my parents and their lifestyles, which I’m convinced drove them to an early grave. They smoked Chesterfields, drank a nightly scotch on the rocks or two, and ate everything fried without a second thought. It was Mad Men encapsulated. The only good to come of it was for me to have been a witness and vow the opposite for myself.
 
Ah but the slope is slippery! After 14 years of being vegetarian (fish as the exception) and wanting to rebel against the rigid rules of that choice, I began a food celebration. No things were off limits and I still have a love affair with beautiful food. I enjoy the process of shopping at farmer’s market on Sunday mornings and then creating great meals and social events around them in the kitchen. While I know these sensory pleasures are part of living a graceful life, I have a higher level of awareness of healthy organic ingredients and moderation in all things.

I decided together with Jolie 10 days ago to do a great cleanse to kick off spring. We both decided that the Clean program by Dr.Junger was the perfect one for us. Confession: knowing that I’d be doing this for 21 days, and that afterwards would be a gentle re-entry into the world of food and drink, I decided to give my blessings to the goddess of all cupcakes, Sprinkles! I bought the yummiest chocolate fudge cupcake and loved every bite. And now, day 11,  we’re super committed and actually enjoying how good we feel already! I could go on and on about the specifics, colon hydrotherapy, etc. but I’ll let you research that for yourself!

Inhabiting a human body is miraculous. One day I was in Indio, California at a Mexican restaurant that was this little tucked away place, nothing memorable. Except the clientele. An obese woman was filling up 2 chairs at the table next to us and I had so much compassion for her but also amazement. How could one little heart, about the size of my 2 fists, pump blood into that enormous amount of fat and tissue and organs? The body has such a will to live, to thrive, that it will endure more than we can imagine.  I’ve never forgotten her. I can’t imagine she would be alive today, and that is a wasted life. No ability to run and have fun, to ride a bike or walk up a hill. No ability to slip on a wetsuit and slide into azure water and see magical creatures up close. No ability to jump on a pair of skis and enjoy the mountains. No ability to dance at her daughter’s wedding. How sad. So this cleanse is a blessing I’m giving my body, to take a break, regenerate and provide me with vitality and life far beyond where I’d be otherwise.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten